1. Write about things that matter. Don’t worry, I will still be including all things silly, superficial and sarcastic (after all, blogging should be fun…) but in general I want to take the time to write more posts about issues and causes I am passionate about. In 2013 you can expect more posts about marriage enrichment and adoption.
2. Use my influence (however big or small) for His glory. Blogging takes a lot of time and energy…it can be easy to get bogged down and discouraged by stats and think “well no one is reading anyway…” This year, I plan on spending less time on google analytics and more time connecting with readers. Just like offline relationships, I want to focus on quality, not quantity. Also, as we all know, blogging can be very narcissistic. I want to really examine the heart behind every word in every post…is my writing and photography glorifying myself or God? If you haven’t already, I urge you to check out The Influence Network. I can really resonate with their motto, “Make your online life mean something”.
3. Choose my family over blogging. Every time. I wrote a little more about this last Friday…
4. Host more link parties. In 2012, I sponsored the Fave Fall Fixin’ link party. It was a great learning experience and I was able to connect with several new bloggers. I’d like to start a more regular link party in 2013.
5. Work on incorporating more design into my posts. As a designer, I love visiting blogs which incorporate beautiful editorial layouts and read more like magazine spreads (Design Love Fest is a great example). Too often I get lazy in this area.
6. Learn how to create and post an artistic animated gif. I plan on using Pugly Pixel’s tutorial to create my own.
7. Grow an authentic online community. I really love it when readers leave comments. This means you! I want this to be a safe place for lively discussion and encouragement.
8. Take a leap of faith and launch a side-photography business. There. I’ve said it out loud. Ahhh this one is scary!
I plan to accomplish all these goals in my free time, you know, after caring for a newborn (ETA March) and chasing my toddler around…
What are your blogging goals for the new year?